Things I Am Interested In

Every subject is important, so some people say. I agree, but only some are of immediate interest. The most relevant items that I think of now are:


Everything is connected. Art, history, music, science, everything is just a part of the web of human lives and history on the planet. And soon, in the Solar System. So how can one limit the subjects one studies? But here is my starting point. I will examine as much as I can - the growth of economic and political unions around the world, the shape that the U.S. might take in the next decades, oil production and consumption, technology and its applications. Why one political party may be better than another. Why no religion is right or wrong. All the centrist ideas, the middle of the road solutions, these are the things I gravitate towards. Rarely do I take a hard stand on anything, unless it is taking a stand against taking a stand. But that is just my contrary nature.

There is nothing that I scoff at, really, when it comes to what I should or should not learn. Sherlocke Holmes had it wrong when he said "I consider that a man's brain originally is like a little empty attic, and you have to stock it with such furniture as you choose. ... It is of the highest importance, therefore, not to have useless facts elbowing out the useful ones."

Pish tosh! A man's brain can't be filled up. Cluttered, yes. But the task is to learn to organize the data stored in your brain, not selectively excise those facts that you deem unimportant. The least relevant seeming item might be of vital importance one day. Whether you believe in God, Karma, or Chaos, you never know for what reason you learn certain somethings. It is better to file away everything for future possible use than to second-guess the universe on what it wants you to learn.

No comments: